Durham finish with a flourish

Paul Collingwood.
Paul Collingwood.
Have your say

A STAND of 116 in 18 overs between Paul Collingwood and Keaton Jennings carried Durham to a five-wicket home win against Surrey in their final Royal London Cup group game.

Rain cut short the visitors’ innings on 189 for six after 44.5 overs and after a break of more than two hours Durham were required to score 198 in 37 overs.

The hosts had reached 11 for two after three overs when a short break saw the target revised to 190 in 33 and they surpassed the total with nine balls to spare.

They had slipped to 69 for four when Collingwood emerged to complete an outstanding all-round performance.

He took two for 25 in 10 overs then thumped an unbeaten 62 off 56 balls.

Jennings survived sharp return chances to George Edwards on 31 and Azhar Mahmood on 40 but belied his reputation as a stodgy four-day opener by making 70 off 67 balls before skying a catch to fine-leg off Jack Winslade with five runs needed.

Durham now have to wait until the other teams have played their final games next Wednesday to discover whether they have qualified for the quarter-finals.

Surrey, with no chance of progress, had left out all their senior bowlers apart from Azhar.

Among the youngsters Surrey drafted in was 19-year-old seamer Winslade, who conceded 61 runs in 6.3 overs.

The target was 48 off six when Durham took the batting powerplay and Surrey had to recall Winslade. Jennings drove his second ball back over his head to reach 50 off 52 balls.

Surrey made a brisk start as Steven Davies and Tillakaratne Dilshan took 35 off the first six overs before John Hastings bowled the Sri Lankan with his third ball.

Collingwood also struck with his third ball when Vikram Solanki drove a low catch to cover after labouring for 37 balls to make 14.

Davies looked a high-class player in reaching 50 off 54 balls, but that was in the 25th over, which meant he had faced little more than a third of the strike. He fell for 56 when he lofted Jennings’ fifth ball to mid-off.

At 108 for five Azhar found an impressive ally in 21-year-old Aneesh Kapil as they shared a stand of 69 in 13.5 overs.

Steep bounce from Paul Coughlin accounted for Azhar for 34 but Kapil was still there on 43, made off 53 balls, when the rain arrived.

H Captain Varun Chopra guided Warwickshire to a Royal London One-Day Group B victory over Glamorgan at Swansea under the Duckworth-Lewis method.

After being put in to bat, Glamorgan had reached 225 for seven in 39 overs when heavy rain caused a near three-hour delay.

When play restarted after a major mopping-up session the Bears, who are still in the mix to reach the quarter-finals, were required to chase 90 to win from 10 overs.

The visitors managed that with nine balls to spare with Chopra (39 from 26 balls) winning the match with a straight six off Michael Hogan in the penultimate over.

H Leicestershire kept alive their hopes of a quarter-final place with a 16-run Duckworth-Lewis method victory over Worcestershire in the Royal London Cup Group A game at Grace Road.

Put into bat on a bowler-friendly pitch after rain delayed the start by two and a half hours, Worcestershire totalled 202 for nine off 34 overs.

That was down to a second-wicket stand of 104 between Daryl Mitchell and Tom Fell, who both hit half-centuries, while Leicestershire’s young all-rounder Shiv Thakor took four wickets for 49 - his best figures in limited-overs cricket.

The Foxes made a steady start to the chase, reaching 45 in eight overs for the loss of Niall O’Brien (23) and Angus Robson (13). Greg Smith (34 not out) and Matt Boyce (nine not out) took the hosts to 93 for two off 15.4 overs before a torrential downpour brought an end to proceedings.

The abandonment handed the hosts a 16-run win which meant that, if they beat Lancashire in the final game at Old Trafford next week, they will clinch a place in the last eight.

H A two-and-a-half-hour rain delay and a middle-order collapse hampered England women’s progress on day two of their one-off four-day Test against India at Wormsley.

Having restricted India to 114 in their reply to their paltry first innings effort of 92 on Wednesday, when no fewer than 16 wickets fell, England made steady second-innings progress to 73 for three before the heavens opened around 3pm on the second day.

Play did not get back under way until 5.30pm and England lost three further wickets for the addition of just 11 runs before Sarah Taylor led the England fightback as the hosts finished the day on 110 for six - a lead of just 88 runs.