Durham cup thrill on night of drama

editorial image
Have your say

DURHAM qualified for the quarter-finals of the Royal London One-Day Cup after a dramatic night in Group B.

Jon Lewis’s side progressed after Somerset, who could have qualified with a big victory over Surrey in their final match, lost by seven runs at the Kia Oval.

A floodlight failure during Somerset’s innings added drama to a tense affair in London.

Nottinghamshire Outlaws secured a home quarter-final courtesy of a thrilling one wicket win against Warwickshire. Luke Fletcher smashed the final ball for four as the Outlaws chased 303 to win, which was the highest successful run chase in a one-day game at Trent Bridge.

That result meant Durham slipped a place to fourth in the Group B standings but still progressed to the next stage of the competition and will face an away match against the winners of Group A.

Yorkshire, Essex or Gloucestershire are all vying for top spot and play their final group games today.

The real drama last night was at the Oval.

Marcus Trescothick’s 80 from 54 balls was ultimately in vain as Somerset were bowled out for 267 to lose to Surrey by seven runs by the Duckworth-Lewis method following a floodlight failure.

Chasing Surrey’s 50-over total of 284 for nine, Somerset set out believing they needed to overhaul that score in no more than 42.1 overs in order to clinch a quarter-final place.

Trescothick’s assault, which included four sixes and nine fours, left them on 146-4 after 24.1 overs, and very much on course to get to their target within a target, when a power surge in south London blew out the Oval floodlights.

A 25-minute delay, while a fuse was repaired and the floodlight bulbs were allowed to cool down before they could be turned on again, hurt Somerset as, when the game restarted, their adjusted Duckworth-Lewis target to 275 in 46 overs meant they needed to get there in 38.2 overs to pip Durham for fourth place.

James Hildreth and Alex Barrow returned knowing just 14.1 overs were available to score the 129 more runs required for victory, and guaranteed last eight qualification. Hildreth did his best by reaching 53 from 46 balls, but, at 184, he drove to extra cover and when Barrow and Craig Overton also fell in the next two overs Somerset were suddenly 195-7 and could never quite recover.