Collingwood leads way in Durham’s fight for survival

Paul Collingwood.
Paul Collingwood.
Have your say

DURHAM skipper Paul Collingwood led by example - with ball and bat - as title challengers Nottinghamshire had another rollercoaster day at Chester-le-Street.

A week after agreeing to play on for another season, the 38-year-old Durham captain (left) was clearly determined to keep his side in Division One ... but was almost upstaged by someone a year older.

An opening stand of 51 in their second innings had given the hosts a lead of 116, only for Gary Keedy to remove the three left-handers at the top of the order - sparking a collapse to 83 for five.

After five sessions, 25 wickets had fallen, but Collingwood dug in for dear life to follow up his three for 26 - his best four-day haul since 2008 - by surviving for two hours to make 38 not out.

Only two wickets fell after tea as Paul Coughlin provided able assistance for the final hour and, on 196 for seven, Durham led by 261 at stumps.

Keedy, making his first appearance for Nottinghamshire, finished with four for 56 after pinning John Hastings lbw for a second-ball duck.

It looked like Gordon Muchall might hit the left-arm spinner out of the attack after tea when he drove a straight six on his way to a fluent 36.

But he was bowled by a beauty from Jake Ball, which cut back sharply, and it proved a mistake when Ajmal Shahzad was recalled in place of Ball as Collingwood easily ran him wide of third man for two fours.

Coughlin also pulled Shahzad fiercely to the boundary in his unbeaten 36..

Collingwood had previously taken only one championship wicket this season, just as he had in each of the previous two years, but found conditions to his liking as his gentle swingers proved troublesome.

He struck with his fifth ball as James Franklin gave Scott Borthwick the second of his three catches at second slip.

Hastings had Chris Read caught at deep backward square leg for 21 and the Australian finished with four for 64 when Shahzad tried an upper cut and lobbed a return catch. He was last out for 30.

Durham had 50 on the board in the 11th over in their second innings before Keedy’s first ball had Mark Stoneman caught behind for 28. Keaton Jennings tried a paddle-sweep and gloved to Read, and Michael Richardson was run out for three when Borthwick declined a third run to long-off.

Calum MacLeod got a big inside edge into his leg stump to give Franklin his only wicket of the match and, in the last over before tea, Borthwick fell for 19 when he sat back to cut a ball from Keedy which turned sharply and bowled him.

But Collingwood ensured that the last session belonged to Durham.