Sunderland cruiserweight Warren Baister makes it five wins in a row

Tommy Ward lands a left to the head of Simas Volosinas. Picture by TOM COLLINS
Tommy Ward lands a left to the head of Simas Volosinas. Picture by TOM COLLINS
Have your say

Warren Baister extended his winning run to five fights when he beat Christian Adjoufack at Houghton.

The Sunderland cruiserweight was on top when the end came after just two rounds, with the former Olympian retired with an injury to his right shoulder.

Baister had impressed early on with his jab and jolted Adjoufack with a short left hook to the African's head.

The former top GB amateur heavyweight appeared to hurt his rival in the second with some heavy rights to the body though he seemed to be too rushed.

Adjoufack had competed well and the match looked just to be boiling up when the away corner called referee Steve Hawkins, who accepted the Thornaby-based fighter's retirement.

Further down the weight-range, the Ward brothers warmed up for their summer assaults on major championship challenges in smooth fashion.

Tommy and Martin enjoyed effortless six-round points wins over Baltic opposition.

Younger sibling Tommy, who will have a crack at British super-banatamweight king against Jazza Dickens in Leeds in May, controlled matters throughout against Simas Volosinas, from Lithuania.

Referee Andrew Wright marked it a shut-out.

So did Steve Hawkins when he took charge of Martin's match against Latvia's Dimitrijs Gutmans.

The 28-year-old needed the minutes inside the ropes, having not fought since the Stadium of Light last July.

Martin, who is due to face reigning European super-bantamweight champion Abigail Medina, won at a canter at the Houghton venue.

Ward's southpaw right jab connected with Gutmans at will, landing with numerous left tom the body.

Promoter Phil Jeffries staged 10 contests, including the pro debut for gifted former Peterlee junior, Chris Wallace.

And what a debut, the Dave Binns-trained boxer knocking out Vinny Atkins in the second round.

After an even first round, the 27-year-old floored the Yorkshireman with a left hook, with referee Wright counting him out at one minute, 30 seconds.

Wallace's stablemate, Darren Surtees was even quicker, stopping Chris Adaway in just 34 seconds of the first round.

The exciting Thornley won in the opening session on his last appearance at Rainton Meadows and repeated the trick here, decking the Plymouth opponent with a devastating right.

Adaway did get to his feet but was unsteady and after being staggered again, thankfully Mr Wright waved it off.

Horden's Greg O'Neil also clinched a first-round stoppage when he had Zygimantas Butkevicius on the ropes and in trouble. Mr Hawkins called a halt at the two minute, 33 second mark.

Crimdon's Jay Hughes looked sharp and polished in a four-round points victory against Nuneaton veteran Kristian Laight.

Two Hartlepool boxers on the card ended with draws.

Richard O'Neill, from the Gus Robinson Developments stable, finished level at 39-39 with Bognor debutant Callum Ide after four rounds.

Mr Hawkins could not separate O'Neill's former team mate, Daniel Cope, who paid for a slow start as he was held to a 38-38 stalemate with experienced Stourbridge campaigner Kevin McCauley.

Middlesbrough cruiser, Simon Vallily, halted Arturs Kulikauskis in the fourth and final session of his bout, Mr Wright stopping it at two minutes, 14 seconds.