Sunderland boxer Glenn Foot vows to fight back after defeat to Sam Eggington

Glenn Foot lands a left to the head of Sam Eggington
Glenn Foot lands a left to the head of Sam Eggington
Have your say

Glenn Foot is a fighting man, there’s no two ways about it.

And the Sunderland star has vowed to come back fighting after the premature and bloody end to his British and Commonwealth title challenge.

I’ve had set-backs before, injuries, lads pulling out of fights, all that, but I’ll keep in the gym and get myself back on track


Referee Steve Gray halted the championship double at the start of the ninth round at the Manchester Arena on the advice of the ringside doctor following a naughty cut to Foot’s left eye, which would later require five stitches.

Foot debated the issue long and hard with the medic, but there was going to be no change of heart.

And, sadly, there was to be only one result, an Eggington victory, when the match was decided on the scorecards of the three judges.

All went big for the reigning Commonwealth holder, Howard Foster (80-72), Phil Edwards (80-71) and Terry O’Connor (79-72), with the 21-year-old picking up the vacant British belt as well.

It was deemed a technical decision after Mr Gray ruled the cut had been caused by an accidental clash of heads.

Foot had demanded one more round, an opportunity to stop the man known as “Savage”. He needed to KO the Midlander but he was never going to get that opportunity.

The doctor is there for a reason and the state of a contest does not come into his reckoning, just the health of the boxer.

Foot will be back and he’d love a second crack at the Egg man.

“I’d have a re-match, definitely. After my eye’s healed, I’ll have a warm-up fight then I’d love to fight him again,” insisted the 27-year-old, from Marley Pots.

“He came in with his head all the time but that’s boxing it’s one of them things.

“I will be back, definitely.

“I’ve had set-backs before, injuries, lads pulling out of fights, all that, but I’ll keep in the gym and get myself back on track.

“I’m gutted for my family and fans, but I’ll be back.”

Was Eggington better than Foot thought?

“Not really,” said the Phil Jeffries-managed fighter. “I thought I won the first three rounds and then there were a couple of close ones.

“I was going to sling some shots at him in the ninth – he looked to be tiring and I was going to pounce on him, but they went and stopped it.

“I could have been given one more round, I told them ‘give me one more round’.

“I thought he was coming in with his head a bit, but it was an accidental head clash, it’s boxing, it’s one of those things.”

Eggington, it has to be said, was a deserved winner.

The first three rounds were cagey affairs with very little to choose between the pair and, until rounds seven and eight, it was a case of nip and tuck.

Eggington had used his reach to good effect, landing his jab and also connecting with the right, but Foot got in some shots of his own.

But he needed to chuck more and take the rangy Stourbridge fighter out of his comfort zone.

Whenever Foot landed, just like he did with a cracking right at the start of round six, Eggington came back with one of his own. It was that type of fight.

He had shown Foot tremendous respect and it was only in the seventh and eighth he really began to turn it on and the Sunderland favourite was deducted a point in the seventh and told off for the use of his head in the eighth. Worse still, he was cut.

With a third of the fight still to go, the Dave Binns-trained fighter required something special – he needed a stoppage to prevent Eggington from winning.

And in those situatiuons, you would never write off a warrior like Glenn, ever.

Alas, we never got the chance to find out.