Summer Rumble: Sunderland fighter Glenn Foot entertains Stadium of Light with win

Glenn Foot
Glenn Foot
Have your say

Glenn Foot made a triumphant light-welterweight debut when he outpointed Lee Connelly at the Stadium of Light.

The Sunderland favourite has moved down a division following his failed challenge for the British & Commonwealth welter titles against Sam Eggington 12 months ago.

Tommy Ward produced a super-sharp display.

At Phil Jeffries’ sixth Summer Rumble, Foot turned on the power with a relentless six-round assault on the head and body of his Sheffield opponent.

Top marks to Connelly for his resistance and endurance and he played a full part in a tremendous fight which entertained the big crowd.

But Foot clinched the verdict 60-53 from referee Steve Hawkins.

Martin Ward was also an impressive winner as he clinched his 24th victory as a pro.

The super-banatamweight, chasing a shot at the European title, picked up a cut in the final of his fight with Renaldo Cajina.

But the Hartlepool-trained boxer won every round, referee Graeme Williams scoring it 60-54.

Younger brother Tommy Ward produced a super-sharp display against Barcelona-based Nicaraguan Elvis Guillen.

Ward was dominant with his left, with some great body hooks the feature as he won 60-54 on the scorecard of referee Steve Hawkins.

Jordan King made it seven victories from seven contests after winning a terrific scrap with Plymouth’s Christian Gomez.

The Spanish-born super-middleweight pushed him all the way but Hetton got the verdict 39-38.

Middlesbrough cruiserweight Simon Vallily extended his winning run to nine bouts when he stopped Croatia’s Toni Visic 2minutes, 33seconds into round three.

There was an even quicker finish to Danny Wall’s bout. The Morpeth boxer, managed by Mr Sunderland boxing, Tommy Conroy, blew Glasgow’s Alireza Alimohammedi away in a mere 49 seconds, referee Ron Kearney coming to the Scot’s rescue.

Thornley’s Darren Surtees made it three wins out of three as a pro when he halted Alex Bazza in round three.

The Dave Binns-trained man had the Belfast fighter down in each round and when he went down a third time, Mr Williams did not even start a count.

There was another Co Durham success as Adam Watson won on debut, the Spennymoor middleweight flooring Bangor’s Casey Blair in round two.

The Northern Irishman was up by eight but referee Hawkins waved it off.

Trimdon’s Jay Hughes, now living in Crimdon, opened the show with a fine boxing display on his debut, outpointing Harvey Hemsley, 40-36, from referee

There was also a winning debut for South Bank’s Ross Jameson, who did not lose a round against the daddy of journeymen, Jason Nesbitt, from Birmingham, referee Wright marking it 60-55.

Forest Hall’s Lewis Ritson closed the show when he reached 10 victories, defeating a game Nathan Hardy.

The Sheffield fighter’s nose poured with blood and referee Kearney halted the bout after round two on the advice of ringside doctor, Mike Kipling.