McClumpha has an easy night

EASY DOES IT: Jonson McClumpha keeps Dean Walker on the back foot.
EASY DOES IT: Jonson McClumpha keeps Dean Walker on the back foot.
Have your say

JONSON McClumpha extended his unbeaten run to seven bouts when he won with ease against Sheffield’s Dean Walker.

Last time out, the 23-year-old had been involved in a Sunderland v Newcastle derby classic at the Stadium of Light in July when he drew with Andrew Buchanan.

This time, no heroics were needed as McClumpha controlled matters from the first to the last bell.

His jab found the head of the Sheffield middleweight with ease as did his long right.

It seemed as though he could step it up at any point, but did not have to as he was awarded a shut-out 40-36 points victory.

There was a first professional defeat and a first visit to the canvas for Paul Archer.

The Easington light-welterweight had gone into the bout with seven straight wins under his belt.

But the 22-year-old met his match in the shape of Welshman Tony Dixon.

Many an eyebrow had been raised when Archer had left coach David Binns to be trained by elder brother, Ian.

How much of a factor the absence of Glenn Foot and McClumpha’s coach is open to conjecture.

But the two Archers must now re-group and plot a way back.

Dixon came out chucking a heavy right hand but it was his lesser-used left which put Archer down midway through the first round.

Credit to Archer, he got back up though was forced to hold on for survival for the rest of the round.

He fought back in rounds two and three with some good pressure and Dixon was not as good on the back foot.

However, Archer did not do enough to change the course of the bout and one right hand aside, did not land enough in the fourth and final round.

Referee Andrew Wright gave the verdict 39-36 to the Mountain Ash boxer.

The North-East derby at light-welter between Horden’s Anth Hardy and Chris Bennett was a close-run affair, though how remains a mystery.

Bennett, shorter and aggressive, came forward throughout but invariably walked onto the strong right hand of Hardy.

Only the second round looked open to debate, yet Hardy just edged it 39-38 on the scorecard of Mark Curry, who was scoring from ringside with trainee ref Steve Hawkins in charge inside the ropes.