Lightning Mould strikes in style

DANGER: Lee Mould on his way to victory against George Watson. Picture by Joe Spence.
DANGER: Lee Mould on his way to victory against George Watson. Picture by Joe Spence.
Have your say

LIGHTNING Lee Mould fully lived up to his nickname by disposing of rival George Watson in double-quick time at the Stadium of Light Summer Rumble yesterday.

The Wearsider’s dismantling of his Tyneside opponent was swift, ruthless and savage and was completed just 22 seconds into the second round.

The 24-year-old Sunderland light-welterweight had been hoping to box for a Northern Area title on this show, only to be disappointed by the late withdrawal through injury of Fishburn’s Gary Fox.

It was a disappointment the unbeaten fighter took out on Watson in eye-catching fashion.

The Tyne-Wear derby element to the contest added spice to the clash and the atmosphere was excellent as the bout got underway.

The 30-year-old Newcastle man was coming in with a mixed record, having won eight and lost eight of his 18 fights.

But he had lost his last half-a-dozen bouts and was clearly desperate to get back to winning ways.

The first round was one which Mould dominated, pouring forward and unloading plenty of punches.

But Watson did not look overly troubled as he back-peddled and hit on the counter-attack.

That opening round, though, only turned out to be the warm-up for the demolition that was to come immediately afterwards.

Having sized up his opponent in the opening three minutes, Mould tore into Watson from the opening bell of the second round, landing lightning-fast punches in a torrent.

Watson tried to weather the storm, holding his gloves up to his head and looking to take the blows on his arms and gloves.

But one punch got through and the effect was instantaneous, with Watson dropping immediately to the canvas as blood poured in a torrent from his nose.

He spat out his gumshield as the referee correctly waved the fight over, with it clear Watson could not carry on.

For a few seconds, it looked as though the injury could be genuinely serious as the doctor was called into the ring, but then Watson was punching the canvas in frustration as he recovered and realised that an insufficient defence had allowed Mould to notch a quickfire and utterly comprehensive win.

There may well be question marks now over Watson’s long-term future in the sport.

But for Mould – now seven fights unbeaten – the future looks very bright, and it will surely not be long before he fights for a title.