Jeffries looking to get big 2014 fight for Hughes

HEAVY HANDS: Danny Hughes lands with a straight left.
HEAVY HANDS: Danny Hughes lands with a straight left.
Have your say

PHIL Jeffries hopes to get a “big fight” for Danny Hughes next year after seeing the Sunderland heavyweight win his first fight under his management.

Jeffries was ringside at the Newcastle Centre for Sport on Saturday night, when “Danny Boy” outpointed Croatia’s Jakov Gospic over four one-sided rounds.

Hughes switched Wearside camps earlier this year, leaving Tommy Conroy after only two defeats in 15 appearances. And he made it a winning start for Jeffries, showing few signs of ring-rust in his first bout since April.

Hughes began confidently, landing a left to the body of Gospic and a right to the head.

The jab was the most effective Hughes weapon and the contest quickly became one-way traffic.

Gospic, who arrived in the region with a very healthy record of 10 stoppages in his 14 wins, was left with a bloody nose, but he boxed with some spirit in the last session.

But his battered and bruised face at the bell told the story of the contest and referee Andrew Wright’s 40-36 scoreline was a formality.

“I’m over the moon with Danny,” said Jeffries. “That fight was just what he needed.

“That’s the best shape he’s been in and the best he’s boxed.

“He’s not boxed since April and he needed the rounds and he used his jab beautifully.

“I’ll be looking to get him a big fight in 2014.

“He’s got himself in great condition and at the age of 27, he’s only a puppy in heavyweight terms.”

H Martin was not the only Ward on the winner’s rostrum on Saturday night.

Younger brother Tommy Ward gave the best display of a flourishing career to win the opening bout.

The 19-year-old made it six straight wins when he enjoyed a shut-out points win over difficult Sheffield customer Qasim Hussain.

Ward, an orthodox fighter unlike his southpaw sibling, was on the attack from the start. His jab found the head of his opponent on a regular basis and also hit the mark with some hooks to the body.

Hussain tried to unsettle him at the start of the second, but the West Rainton livewire refused to be knocked out of his stride, connecting with a combination to the body and some nice lefts.

More quick combinations were the feature of the third and while Hussain came forward in the last, he walked on to several eye-catching shots.

Billingham referee Graeme Williams scored it 40-36.