Hughes must wait for Fury

Danny "Boy" Hughes.
Danny "Boy" Hughes.
0
Have your say

SUNDERLAND heavyweight Danny ‘Boy’ Hughes will have to wait until the New Year for his high profile fight against Hughie Fury.

The much-hyped 19-year-old Stockport prospect – who says he wants to become the youngest heavyweight champion in history – suffered a cut over his eye as he beat journeyman David Gegeshidze last Friday night.

And not only did the injury force the postponement of Fury’s planned clash with Hughes (pictured, left) in the Bluewater Centre in Kent this Saturday. but efforts to get the fight rescheduled for December have also fallen through.

Now, both parties are working to get the fight on in early January.

Fury disposed of his Georgian opponent in the fourth round of their bout but the cut he sustained over his left eye in the third required three stitches and prevents him from boxing again for 28 days.

Although that naturally forced the postponement of Fury and Hughes’ contest for the WBO heavyweight world youth title this Saturday, the pair’s promoters had hoped to rearrange the title fight for mid-December in Belgium.

Initially, that date was looking on, but it has become apparent that Fury’s cut will not heal in time for him to fight in the middle of next month and now the showdown will have to wait until after Christmas.

The 6ft 6ins fighter Fury has now had 12 fights and 12 wins so far this year as he works on his ambition of beating Mike Tyson’s record – the American becoming the youngest world heavyweight champion at the age of 20 years and four months.

But Fury’s loftyambitions will have to be put on temporary hold for the moment at least, while his fight with Hughes, which will be fought out over 10 three-minute rounds, is rescheduled.

Hughes’ manager Phil Jeffries told the Echo: “There’s every chance the fight will take place early in the New Year now – just as soon as Fury is fit again really.

“In the meantime, Danny will be able to fight in a six-rounder on Tyneside early next month.

“He’ll be part of the support on Martin Ward’s fight for the Commonwealth bantamweight title, as we originally planned, and it will help sharpen him up ahead of the Fury fight.

Hughes told the Echo: “I was disappointed that he got cut because I was looking forward to the fight and felt quietly confident I would win.

“But the good news is that there’s a lot of hard work going on to rearrange the fight and get it on and I’ll be over the moon if that comes off.

“I know Fury is getting talked about a lot but I’m 27 years old now and have a lot of experience under my belt.

“I’m in as good a shape as I’ve ever been in and I’m not alone in thinking I could beat him.”