Foot back with a bang

Have your say

GLENN Foot was back to his best as he added another knockout to his record when he defeated James Flinn at the Stadium of Light yesterday.

“The Hammer” has been out of action for around 18 months but starred on the Phil Jeffries-promoted Summer Rumble to stop the fight after two minutes in the third of four rounds.

Marley Pots man Foot now has an impressive record of seven wins from as many contests with four not going the allotted distance.

The 24-year-old told the Echo: “I have prepared for this fight like I have never been away. I have waited for this and to be fighting here on this show it is perfect for me to put a show on.

“I felt as if I had to get back into the rhythm of things in the first but then it just flowed. I’m over the moon with the performance that has shown I’m back in business.”

From the off it was evident what he and coach Dave Binns had been working on in the East Durham and Houghall College gym in Peterlee.

Constant pressure and strong shots to the body wore down Flinn and the 30-year-old had enough as referee Andrew Wright waved his hands to end the fight igniting cheers and applause from Glenn’s hundreds of followers.

Flinn was floored three times during the third after a flurry of shots from Foot he simply could not handle.

He added: “I knew it was there for the taking. I wasn’t looking for it, I never do, but he was there and trying to rough me up so it (the knockout) happened.

“Whenever I go out I am always calm and focused and Dave makes sure of that and I know he is over the moon.”

Foot will hope that there is not as long an exile from the boxing scene as there was before yesterday but has big hopes for the future.

He added: “I will have to be patient and make sure that I train hard. The promoters haven’t got any Sky shows round here soon but I will always be ready.

“Hopefully it won’t be long before I’m back again and I know exactly where I want to be.”

H Paul Archer added another win to his flawless record as he defeated Matt Seawright over six rounds.

The 21-year-old, from Easington, was “gutted” to be matched against a journeyman after fellow unbeaten boxer Adam Kettleborough withdrew.

He said: “A win is a win. I can’t say much more than that. At this stage in my career I can’t do anything else than try to get better and fighting people like this really is teaching me the trade.

“I would like to take on more opponents with positive records but I have to be patient and wait for my chance. “

Archer sent Seawright to the canvas in the fifth with a stunning left hand that summed up his sharp performance.

“I enjoyed it and just tried to keep it as tidy as I could,” he added.”