Women taken to hospital after chip pan fire fills home with smoke

Burke Street in Town End Farm. Copyright Google Maps.
Burke Street in Town End Farm. Copyright Google Maps.

A woman was taken to hospital by ambulance after a kitchen blaze started by a chip pan.

Three fire appliances were sent tackle the blaze in a house in Burke Street, Town End Farm.

The kitchen was left badly damaged by the fire, with other areas of the ground floor affected by smoke and the upstairs also filled with fumes.

The fire was put out using a hose reel, with two fire officers wearing breathing apparatus sent into the home.

The crews had arrived at the house to find a woman had already managed to escape the property.

She was taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital suffering from the affects of smoke inhalation

The incident happened at 11.40am yesterday.