Man taken to hospital after trying to tackle bedsit blaze

The fire broke out in a house in Riversdale Terrace, which has been divided up into four bedsits. Image copyright Google Maps.
The fire broke out in a house in Riversdale Terrace, which has been divided up into four bedsits. Image copyright Google Maps.

A man was taken to hospital to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation after he tried to put out a fire in a bedsit.

Nine firefighters from Sunderland Central and North Moor fire stations were sent to Riversdale Terrace, on Durham Road in Sunderland, after the blaze was reported in a house which has been split into four bedsits.

When the crews arrived, they found the fire in the rear upstairs flat.

Everyone who had been inside the building at the time had managed to get out, but one man was left with difficulties after breathing in smoke and was taken to hospital for treatment.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the bedsit and used a hose reel to put out the fire.

A sofa was wrecked by the heat and smoke and the rest of the bedsit severely damaged by the fumes.

A fan was used to clear the property of smoke.

The incident happened at 8.10pm yesterday.