Fire damages front of Sunderland block of flats

Hudson Road in Sunderland. Image copyright Google Maps.
Hudson Road in Sunderland. Image copyright Google Maps.

A fire has left part of a house damaged after the blaze broke out above its front bay window.

Firefighters from Sunderland Central and North Moor Fire Stations were called to Hudson Road in Hendon to tackle the fire.

The property is a two-storey terrace divided into six self contained flats.

A hose reel was used to put out the blaze, which left the fascia and boarding damaged.

The flats were also affected by minor smoke damage.

The incident happened shortly before 2pm yesterday.