Campaign to bring Sunderland dad home gathers speed

John with children Jon and Jennifer and wife Claire
John with children Jon and Jennifer and wife Claire
Have your say

Almost £25,000 has been raised in a bid to bring home a dad who broke his neck in a tragic fall.

John Lindsay’s life was changed forever last August when he suffered an epileptic seizure at his home in Silksworth, which led to him falling down the stairs causing severe spinal injuries.

John and Jennifer

John and Jennifer

He was rushed to intensive care and has spent the following months in a specialist spinal injury unit, fighting to regain some mobility above the waist.

Wife Claire, 38, and daughter Jennifer, nine, are desperate to have the 44-year-old home, but their current semi-detached home is unsuitable for John’s wheelchair and complex requirements.

Touched by the family’s plight, friends and family rallied round to create the Bring John Home campaign to raise £300,000 to facilitate buying a new home and adapting it for John’s care.

A recent fundraising night, held at the Comrades Club in Silksworth, helped to raise £4,500 for the cause, bringing the total so far to around £25,000.

John’s sister-in-law, Louise Paul, said: “It was a great night. We had 200 tickets for the night which sold out and local businesses donated raffle prizes. The band Roundel also played free of charge.

“John has been so touched by all the support and wrote a letter which was read out on the night. He can’t believe how kind people have been.”

Speaking about the campaign, Louise said: “It’s such an expensive thing because the family need to move home and find a bungalow which is suitable to be adapted. John is actually ready to be discharged now, but he can’t because his wheelchair simply wouldn’t fit through the door. It’s very frustrating for him.

“But the campaign is really gathering speed and we’ve had support from the likes of SAFC and Smooth Radio.”

Following the accident, the former kitchen salesman, who is also dad to Jon Weirs, 17, spent months on a ventilator, only able to communicate by blinking.

His family feared he may be paralysed from the neck down as they sat by his bedside in James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, where he was moved to a specialist spinal injury unit.

In the months since the fall he has regained some mobility above the waist and is able to talk, but the dad has been left requiring a wheelchair to get around and round-the-clock-care for his neurological needs.

His family currently make the daily 50-mile round trip to Middlesbrough to see him until they can find a suitable new home.

•To donate to John’s fundraising visit http://bringjohnhome.co.uk/