Convicted paedophile failed to tell police he moved to Sunderland after release from prison

Sunderland Magistrates' Court
Sunderland Magistrates' Court

A paedophile failed to tell police he had relocated to the North East after he was released from prison and his wife filed for divorce.

Malcolm Caley, 62, was convicted of sexual assault on a female child under 13 in August 2013, Sunderland magistrates heard.

His wife filed for divorce and he was evicted from his address

Paul McAlindon

On his sentencing to 33 months behind bars at St Albans Crown Court, he was told to sign on the Sex Offenders’ Register.

However, on his release Caley, originally from Hertfordshire, became homeless and was said to be ‘sofa surfing’ at friends’ houses, before moving to Easington Lane, the court was told.

Prosecutor Lee Poppett said: “This is a gentleman who is subject to the Sex Offenders’ Register for a relevant conviction dating back to 2013.

“He was residing at an address in Watford in November 2016, and at that time failed to reside at that particular establishment due to being evicted.

“If he had been homeless at the time all he needed to do was to inform police of having been evicted within seven days, unfortunately in the circumstances, he did not.

Caley, of Murton Lane, Easington Lane, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing, to failing to comply with the notification requirements of the Sex Offenders’ Register, in that he did not notify police of a change of address within three days.

Mr Poppett said Caley had not previously breached the order.

Paul McAlindon, defending, said: “He was having some difficulties while he lived in Hertfordshire.

“His wife filed for divorce and he was evicted from his address. He was sofa surfing.

“It wasn’t anything deliberate – he wasn’t trying to evade police or anything.

“He moved up here. He now has his own accommodation.

“He hasn’t changed his name – he hasn’t given false details or anything like that.

Caley was sentenced to a 12-month community order, with 20 days of specified activity.

He was fined £30 and was told to pay £85 costs and an £85 surcharge.