Camper van damaged after radiator sparks fire

The camper van was parked in Manderville Park in Hetton. Image copyright Google Maps.
The camper van was parked in Manderville Park in Hetton. Image copyright Google Maps.

A camper van caught light because of an electrical fault in an oil-filled radiator.

Crews of firefighters from Rainton Bridge and North Moor fire stations were called to a report of a caravan blaze at Manderville Park in Hetton.

When they arrived to the scene, which is off Colliery Lane, they found a Showman Special camper van a light and filled with smoke.

They used a hose reel to put out the fire.

The call out happened at 5pm yesterday.