Arrests made after firefighters are attacked and injured while tackling house fire

Railway Terrace North, Herrington. Credit: Google.
Railway Terrace North, Herrington. Credit: Google.
Have your say

Three people have been arrested after firefighters were assaulted while attending a house fire.

Police were called at 5.05pm yesterday, to reports that three firefighters had been assaulted and injured after dealing with a fire in New Herrington.

The fire, in Railway Terrace North, had been extinguished and there is not believed to have been any risk to the public.

Police say the three firefighters received treatment for superficial injuries, none of which are believed to be serious.

Two men and a woman have been arrested and are currently in police custody.

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident is asked to contact police on 101, quoting reference 826, or independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

The incident comes after new figures reveal firefighters come under attack one a week, in a sharp rise in the number of attacks on crews.

In 2015, 25 firefighters were assaulted as they carried out their duties. This number doubled to 50 last year.

Russ King, Secretary for the Fire Brigade Union in Tyne and Wear, said: “It’s a very worrying trend attacks have increased.

"The people who perpetrate these attacks must realise, any firefighter or any equipment damaged, it is going to hinder what the firefighter can do and can have dire consequences in the kind of emergency reaction from us.

"Emergency services do a difficult job in difficult circumstances and personnel should not have to put up with being attacked when attending incidents. Superintendent Sarah Pitt

“We’d ask people who perpetrate to stop and think of their actions and the impact they can have. Luckily, no one has been seriously injured, however, firefighters have been injured. It’s not the physical injuries, it’s also the mental injuries that can result from attacks.

"At the end of the day it’s about education and the fire service is working hard to get this message across.”

PLEASE NOTE: Northumbria Police originally issued an appeal, which stated that the incident took place on Railway Street, in Houghton. The force has since stated that it did in fact occur on Railway Terrace North, in New Herrington. We have amended the story to reflect this.