A WOMAN was rescued from her flat after a fire broke out.
Crews from Sunderland Central fire station were called to Prestonhill, in Doxford Park, after a fire started in the living room.
The woman was rescued from a second-floor window and was take to Sunderland Royal Hospital.
Firefighters managed to contain the blaze, but the living room suffered severe smoke damage.
Neighbours today spoke of their shock at the incident.
“I heard the emergency services arrive early on,” said one.
“At the time, I wasn’t sure if they were just passing through the area on their way to another call.”
Fire crews were called to the blaze at about 9am yesterday.