Wearside League: Smith scorcher seals deal as West End keep up push for second

Sunderland West End are still in with a good chance of ending runners-up to Stockton Town in the TWR Bi Fold Wearside League.

Friday, 9th September 2016, 9:30 am
Sunderland West End (red and white) battle for the ball in Saturday's Wearside League win over Whitehaven. Picture by Tim Richardson

They comfortably beat Whitehaven 3-0 at Ford Quarry on Saturday and are now just four points behind Redcar Athletic, with a game in hand.

Following a tentative opening, the Wearsiders broke the deadlock on 31 minutes as Michael McCabe drove past goalkeeper Tom Foren.

Early in the second period, West End were awarded a penalty for a handling offence and Mark Catcheside made no mistake from the spot.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Any hopes Whitehaven harboured of saving the game just about ended 20 minutes from time when Lee Smith delivered a 30-yard scorcher which flew into the top corner of the net.

Cleator Moor Celtic are also in with a shout of ending second, but their hopes dipped with a 2-1 home loss to Spennymoor Town Reserves.

Captain David Gibson reacted quickly following a corner to open the scoring, then Matthew Pennall doubled Moors’ lead after keeper Devine saved a Thomas Young effort. Darren Little fired Celtic’s late consolation.

Richmond Town were the day’s biggest scorers, hitting Harton and Westoe for eight.

Shaun Heads had the South Tyneside’s ahead, but Scott Ryan (3), Mark Sims (2), Ben Darville, Kalumn Holbrooke and Jason Newall left them reeling.

Harton now joined Ashbrooke Belford House, Annfield Plain, Seaham Red Star Reserves and Murton in conceding more than 100 goals this season.

Boldon CA edged a 2-1 win over Annfield Plain. Kieran Dixon fired the hosts into a 30th-minute lead, but Jay McGowan converted a penalty for Annfield’s equaliser.

Jack Lowton’s second-half penalty sealed Boldon’s win.

Wolviston secretary Keith Simpson reckons that Jarrow’s David Smith will never again score as good a goal as he did at Metcalfe Park.

He produced an absolute screamer which rocketed into the net, giving goalkeeper John McLone no chance.

Ten minutes later, Grant Pressling set up Peter Kane to complete a 2-0 win for Jarrow.

Leam Rangers twice led through Alan Mulholldn and Matthew Frost but were pegged back to 2-2 by Prudhoe Town, with Alan Fletcher and Michael Rankin netting.