Wearside League: Silksworth CW need change of luck after home defeat to Hartlepool extends disappointing run

Silksworth CW's disappointing September ended with another defeat as their run without a league win stretched to five games on Saturday.

Monday, 2nd October 2017, 1:00 pm
Updated Wednesday, 4th October 2017, 9:35 am
Silksworth CW (red) battle against Hartlepool on Saturday. Picture by Tim Richardson

Andrew Stobbart’s side went down 2-0 at home to seventh-top Hartlepool.

After a goalless first half, Pool opened the scoring on the hour mark, when the prolific Jamie Tumilty scored from inside the box, smashing the ball past goalkeeper Joe Clayton.

In the 65th minute, Ashley Clark scored the visitors’ decisive second goal, with a long-range effort, to secure all three points.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Silksworth are down to 11th place, with a cup match next on the horizon - they entertain Coxhoe Athletic in the TWR Shipowners Cup this coming Saturday.

Sunderland West End, without a weekend fixture, slipped to fifth place in the table, five points behind top spot. They are away to Hebburn Town Reserves tomorrow night.

Boldon CA moved into fourth position, following a hard-earned 2-2 draw at Richmond Town.

The home side went 1-0 up after only 45 seconds. A long throw from Michael Gunnell was flicked on by Wayne Gredziak and found Adam Lee-Shield, who turned and hit his left-foot shot from 18 yards into the bottom corner, past goalkeeper Andrew Hunter.

After seven minutes, Richmond doubled their lead with a penalty from Ben Darville, after Gunnell was brought down in the area.

Paul Mossa’s Boldon battlers pulled one back on the half hour mark, with a lob by Tom West over goalkeeper Mark Walker, from 18 yards out.

The Dalesmen thought they had managed to hold on for all three points, but, two minutes from time, Boldon substitute Steven Telford equalised with a header from six yards out.

Hebburn Town Reserves remained second in the league, courtesy of a narrow 2-1 victory over visitors Prudhoe Town.

They took the lead in the first half through Jamie Lawson, but, after the break, Prudhoe equalised through captain Alan Fletcher.

However, Lawson was on hand to score his second, giving goalkeeper Shaun Sagar no chance, to claim all three points.

Hebburn manager, Kevin Bolam said: “They were a better team than second bottom of the league suggests.

“They had some very good players in their team and if they can get that team out every week, they will not stay near the bottom.

“It was a hard fought and very physical game, it was tight and competitive. We are very young side and we are all enjoying it and the players are a credit to themselves.”

Harton and Westoe CW pushed themselves eight points clear of their hosts with a 3-2 victory at bottom club Windscale.

Bradley Dryden opened the scoring for Windscale after 35 minutes, with a low shot from 25 yards, but, immediately after the restart, Aaron Coulson equalised with a 30-yard free kick which flew past James Dolan.

Matthew Sempill put the home side ahead again after 73 minutes, with a 20-yarder that went in off the post, beating goalkeeper Daniel Hebden.

However, Daniel Sirrell’s excellent individual goal three minutes later, when he ran nearly the full length of the pitch to fire home, made it 2-2.

Harton’s winner came in the 78th minute, when a low cross was turned into his own net by defender Daniel Morgan.

Leam Rangers went down 3-0 at home to third-placed Redcar Athletic, with Michael Woodhouse and two-goal Jordan Rivis netting in the first half.

Cleator Moor Celtic stayed top of the league thanks to an emphatic 12-1 win at Stokesley SC.

Four Callum Birdsall strikes stole the show, while Leigh Dunn and Ryan Hall both weighed in with hat-tricks.

Kieran Maguire and Brad Tatton finished off a remarkable away win. Connor Hardman hit the home reply.

There were three Durham Trophy ties, with South Shields Reserves sinking league rivals Wolviston 5-2.

Shields raced into a 3-0 lead with three goals in three minutes midway through the first half.

Graham Stephenson put them ahead with a shot from outside the box in the 20th minute and he struck again, from inside the box, minute later.

Leon McKeith soon made it 3-0, firing into the top corner.

Wolviston came out fighting in the second half, with David Johnson’s 56th-minute header and a Famara Jatta strike on 72.

But Stephenson ensured victory with his hat-trick marker on 78 minutes, and David Conroy added an 81st-minute penalty.

Annfield Plain succumbed 4-2 at Northern Alliance side Birtley Town.

The visitors took the lead through Nathan Morley, but Birtley equalised and then went 2-1 ahead, only for Morley to level things up again.

Two further strikes sealed Birtley’s deserved triumph.

Darlington Reserves went down to a shock 2-1 home defeat to Billingham Town Reserves.

In a bad-tempered match, Curtis Dunn put Town ahead in just the fourth minute and they then doubled their lead on 33 minutes, with Scott Close netting.

Close’s own goal, slicing in a cross, gave Darlo a 78th-minute lifeline, but Town held on for an impressive win. The Quakers’ James Beauchamp and Town’s David Totty were both red-carded late on.