Wearside League: Silksworth CW clinch seventh-place finish as Redcar land title in clinical style

Silksworth CW finished the season on a high note, squeezing home 2-1 at South Shields Reserves on Saturday to clinch a seventh-place finish.

Monday, 14th May 2018, 2:00 pm
Silksworth CW (blue) take control against South Shields Reserves on Saturday. Picture by Tim Richardson.

Nathan Baddams put Shields 1-0 up, when he volleyed home from 12 yards in the 19th minute, beating goalkeeper Joe Clayton.

After 64 minutes, Silksworth levelled when a ball over the top found Adam Storey, who went one-on-one with goalkeeper Jack Ramage before sliding the ball underneath him to equalise.

With a minute to go, John Maddison headed over the keeper to make it 2-1.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Third-placed Sunderland West End were depleted for their journey south to Wolviston and duly lost 5-2.

However, West End took a third-minute lead Rob Hall tapped home from close range, beating keeper Christopher Davidson.

Wolviston equalised on 39 minutes, when skipper Andrew McGurr curled a superb effort into the top right-hand corner from 25 yards, giving stand-in keeper Adam Drysdale no chance.

Wolviston took the lead on 50 minutes, when Philip Otele dispossessed the keeper and scored. Junior Masandi got clear and unselfishly laid the ball into the path of Otele for 3-1 soon after.

Masandi scored from close range to make it 4-1, before Brad Forster notched a late reply.

Sub Nathan Bayes scored from an acute angle, right on time, to complete the scoring.

The sides meet again, this time at Ford Quarry, in Friday’s Monkwearmouth Cup final (7pm kick-off).

Paul Mossa’s reign as Boldon CA boss ended with a comfortable 3-0 defeat of Stokesley SC, to finish in fifth position.

Frankie Hucks’ 20th-minute effort opened the scoring, with Adam Bell (50) and Tom West (77) making it three.

Redcar Athletic were crowned champions after an emphatic 7-0 win over visitors Leam Rangers.

Redcar really turned on the style and could easily have reached double figures, but for some fine saves by Lee Smith.

A 12th-minute penalty set them on their way, after Michael Woodhouse was brought down by Anthony Brewis. Before the kick could be taken, Leam’s Leon Kane was red-carded for dissent. Adam Preston converted the penalty.

Andy Jennings tapped in for 2-0 after Smith brilliantly kept out Preston’s header, then Preston added a third after great work from Michael Woodhouse.

Jennings hit an excellent fourth on 51 minutes, then Jordan Rivis’s 20-yard volley made it 5-0.

Anthony Jones struck a sixth after Jack Simpson chipped the keeper but hit the post, then Brian Stewart completed the scoring with a penalty after Smith sent Simpson flying.

Athletic manager Steve Connelly said: “I am especially proud of my players over the season, more so for the fact that they’ve had a difficult run in with 11 games in 28 days, of which they only lost one, pipping Cleator Moor for the title.

“I am proud to have brought Northern League football to the club, and I’m grateful to our committee, including chairman Alan Taylor and secretary Kevin Fryatt, for all the work they’ve put in over the years.

“We’re delighted to have finally reached the goal we’ve been seeking.”

Cleator Moor Celtic finished as runners-up, just a point behind Redcar, after they beat spirited bottom club Coxhoe Athletic 3-2.

Cleator went 2-0 up through Leigh Dunn and Ryan Hall, but Russell Bradley’s 65th-minute penalty and Steve Clifford’s dramatic 87th-minute equaliser made it 2-2.

Tom Mahone, though, ensured Celtic’s win a minute later.

Sixth-placed finishers Richmond Town won 2-1 at Annfield Plain after trailing to Gary Mackay’s first-half strike at Derwent Park.

Chris Pattison beat keeper Stephen Jackson to equalise, then Martin Butterworth secured the Dalesmen’s victory.