Wearside League: Four-goal Silksworth CW secure derby bragging rights in style

Silksworth CW grabbed the derby bragging rights with a convincing success in their 'away' match against Ashbrooke Belford House.

Monday, 28th November 2016, 9:00 am
Updated Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 11:42 am
Sunderland West End (red and white) fire in a shot against Annfield Plain on Saturday. Picture by Tim Richardson

The sides share Silksworth Welfare Park and Andy Stobbart’s men showed their dominance this season by running out 4-1 winners to consolidate fourth place in the table.

Silksworth took the lead after 26 minutes through Adam Storey and doubled their lead six minutes later, when Daley Clarke fired home the second.

Storey then made it 3-0 from close range on the stroke of half-time and, on 72 minutes, Ian Maddison beat keeper David Passmore to extend the advantage to four.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ashbrooke Belford managed a consolation goal through Harry Graham with eight minutes left on the clock.

Boldon CA moved up to fifth, a point behind Silksworth, after they hammered visitors Seaham Red Star Reserves 7-1.

Adam Drysdale stole the show for Paul Mossa’s men as he helped himself to four goals.

Red Star held firm until the 21st minute, when Aaron Burn shot past keeper Shay Adamson.

Josh Holden struck again a minute later, then Drysdale’s low drive found the bottom corner of the net to make it 3-0 soon after.

Drysdale’s second goal stretched the lead just before the interval, and there was no let-up on the restart as he sealed his hat-trick midway through the second half.

Marc Ruddock hit Red Star’s consolation goal with a fine volley, but Boldon were back again to finish on top as Drysdale hit his fourth goal and a Tom West solo strike completed the scoring.

Sunderland West End ended their five-match winless run in all competitions by beating Annfield Plain 3-1 at Ford Quarry.

Martin Thompson opened the scoring after 38 minutes, tapping in, and an Alan Golightly header doubled their lead, three minutes into the second half.

Plain pulled a goal back, courtesy of Aaron Wilkinson, who beat keeper Lee Burrell from close range, five minutes into the second half.

But West End made the game was safe when a Thompson free-kick flew past keeper Joe Longstaff just two minutes later.

Coxhoe Athletic were well beaten, 4-1 at Darlington 1883 Reserves.

Kurt Matthews gave Darlo a 16th-minute lead with a cross-cum-shot which found the bottom corner of the net, but Tom Maddison levelled matters on the half hour, slamming home a fine shot from the edge of the box.

Two goals from Nathan Stevenson in as many minutes, just after half time, saw Darlington storm into a commanding 3-1 lead, and Matthews killed off the visitors with his second goal of the game, producing a good finish after 85 minutes.

Leam Rangers were pegged back twice by battling visitors Wolviston in an entertaining 2-2 draw at Hilltop.

Anthony Huddart made the breakthrough for the Gateshead outfit, netting at the back post, but Wolviston’s Ryan Hebb equalised, sliding in to net from close range.

Leam quickly restored their advantage, courtesy of Liam McVicar, but Junior Masandi rounded home keeper Lee Smith to equalise in the second half.

Bottom club Harton & Westoe grabbed an early lead, but were rocked and left disappointed as hosts Stokesley SC hit back to win 2-1.

Takudzwa Mawoko fired home a penalty to give Harton hope of a rare success, but Danny Jones levelled on the hour mark, after visiting keeper Brodie Simpson spilled the ball.

Stokesley then won it 13 minutes from time as Nick Casey was played through and finished with aplomb.

Leaders Jarrow had their match of the day at second-top Richmond Town postponed. Three other matches were called off, including South Shields Reserves’ home clash with third-placed Redcar Athletic.