Wearside family grateful for smoke alarms after TV sparks fire

Share this article
Have your say

A FAMILY have spoken of their shock after a TV sparked a blaze at their home.

As 17-year-old Vikki Arklay slept, her television set caught fire and toppled over at the bottom of her bed, burning clothes at her home in Redwood Grove, Tunstall Village.

Luckily Vikki, her mum Diane, brother Jamie, 22, and his friend staying over at the time, were roused by the smoke alarm and fled to safety.

Firefighters said had it not been for the alarm they could have been dealing with a tragedy.

Diane, 40, said: “My husband Paul had gone to work at 5.30am and I’d fallen back to sleep. The first I knew that something was wrong was when I was woken by the alarm.”

She said Vikki had been “extremely lucky” and added: “Things could have been so much worse.”

She said: “I’m just so glad we had the smoke alarms.

“It’s not worth thinking about what could have happened.”

Crews from North Moor Fire Station were called to the property last Monday.

The family had managed to escape the blaze and were already outside the property when the firefighters arrived.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service station manager Peter Iveson said: “There is no doubt that a working smoke alarm saves lives, giving people vital minutes to escape.”