Washington attack victim was "never the same again" murder trial jury told

A murder trial jury has heard evidence surrounding the catalogue of injuries suffered by a man at the hands of his alleged killer.

Thursday, 1st December 2016, 1:50 pm
Updated Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 11:51 am
Karl Pascoe

Karl Pascoe caused severe damage to his victim's skull and brain when he attacked him with a fence post in the early hours of December 23 2013, jurors have been told.

Joseph Leech survived his injuries, but Newcastle Crown Court heard he was "never the same again".

The 32-year-old, who became prone to having fits, went to bed at his parents' home for an afternoon nap on April 2 last year and "never woke up".

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

His lifeless body was found by his mother.

Pascoe, who was convicted of assault in the aftermath of the attack, is now accused of murder.

The 31-year-old, of Blackfell, Washington, denies the charge and is being tried by a jury.

Jurors have heard a statement from Dr Angus Vincent, who described Mr Leech's multiple skull fractures in a statement.

The doctor said: "It is one of the most severe pattern of skull injury and fracture I have seen."

The court heard Mr Leech had surgery to his brain when he was admitted to hospital after the attack and a second operation in January 2014.

He was unable to breathe without medical intervention until 22 days after the attack but was prone to infection and suffered personality changes.

It was in March 2014, three months after the violence, that Mr Leech suffered his first suspected seizure.

He then required repeated admissions to hospital as a result of seizures and was prescribed medication.

In February 2015, just weeks before his death, Mr Leech had gone for an afternoon nap and woke up on the floor with a cut to his scalp, which doctors believed was the result of a seizure.

In a separate statement, Dr Robert Allcock, who was also involved in his care, said: "It is clear that the working diagnosis was epilepsy caused by previous head injury."

Pascoe denies murder.

The trial continues.