Two people rescued from chip pan blaze in Washington block of flats

Two people were rescued by fire fighters after a blaze broke out in a fourth floor flat in Washington.

Thursday, 18th February 2016, 5:41 am
Updated Thursday, 18th February 2016, 5:50 am
Collingwood Court, Sulgrave.

A man and a woman were helped to safety after fire fighters used an enforcer and bolt cutters to gain access to the property at Collingwood Court in Sulgrave in the early hours of this morning.

The pair were treated by fire service personnel at the scene, who administered oxygen until an ambulance arrived, according to a service spokeswoman. Both are said to have refused hospital treatment.

Two fire engines from Washington fire station were called to the block at 3.02am on Thursday after a fire broke out in the kitchen of the split-level property on the fourth floor.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

It chip pan was totally destroyed in the blaze and the kitchen was 50% damaged by fire.

One hose reel, two breathing apparatus and positive pressure ventilation was used to tackle the fire.