TWO people had to be rescued after fire ripped through a Sunderland flat.
It happened in Hudson Road, Hendon, on New Year’s Day morning.
Fire officers rushed to the scene to deal with the incident at about 6am, which started in the upstairs flat of the building.
The fire has caused extensive damage to the upstairs flat.
Two people were rescued from the blaze by officers, while two people from the downstairs flat were also helped away from the property.
None of the four people suffered any injuries.
Three engines from Sunderland Central fire station at Millfield went to the scene.
Two hose reels and six breathing apparatus-wearing officers put out the blaze.
Positive pressure ventilation and a thermal imaging camera were also used.
The cause of the fire is now subject to a joint investigation by Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service and Northumbria Police.