Paw blimey! Alfie the Labrador is reunited with hero Seaham jet ski rescuer

Labrador Alfie saying thank you to Angy Ellis after he was rescued from the sea at Seaham.
Labrador Alfie saying thank you to Angy Ellis after he was rescued from the sea at Seaham.
Have your say

A DOG and its grateful owner have been reunited with a jet skier who went to the pet’s rescue after he fell into the sea.

Black Labrador Alfie was out with owner Juliet Davies, 48, her son Jonty, 20, her partner Doug Forster, 60, and his daughter Claire, 31, when the three-year-old leapt on to the wall off Seaham Harbour’s North Dock.

Juliet believes the dog fell into the water after he was unable to stop himself after his run up.

Onlookers threw down life rings and called for help from jet skiers Angy Ellis and her partner Martin Watmough, who had just returned to the marina following a run to Hartlepool.

The Grangetown couple reached Alfie and pulled him onboard to get him back to dry land.

Juliet, who lives in Shotton Colliery, said: “My son was just motionless, but my partner rushed to the wall.

“I didn’t think Alfie could swim and he was trying to stay afloat and the rings helped him a bit.

“I don’t know who shouted to the jet skiers, but thank God they did.

“We were so grateful because his tongue was hanging out and he’d gone under twice by this time.

“The jet skiers brought him back and all we could do was hug them.

“We got Alfie home and showered and he slept for the day afterwards. I think he’s really felt the effects.”

In the rush to help the dog, Juliet and her family and Angy and Martin did not exchange details, but the Echo stepped in to reunite them after Juilet got in touch after seeing coverage of Sunday’s drama.

Juliet added: “We just can’t express our thanks enough because he’s my baby.

“I know some people might say ‘get a grip, it’s a dog’ but he’s part of the family, he’s just like a person.”

Angy and Martin had only joined the newly formed Seaham Jet Ski Club, which is based in the North Dock marina development, the day before they were called to Alfie’s aid.

Sunderland RNLI were also alerted to Alfie’s struggle and helped escort the jet ski back into harbour.