Three children taken to hospital after Sunderland fire

Robert Street, Silksworth. Picture from Google Images
Robert Street, Silksworth. Picture from Google Images

Three children were taken to hospital after a house fire in Sunderland.

Fire crews helped one person from the bedroom of a two-story dormer bungalow in Robert Street, Silksworth, after a chip pan caught fire in the kitchen shortly after midnight last night.

All other occupants had evacuated the property before the fire brigade arrived. Two dogs were also recovered.

The kitchen of the house was damaged by smoke and heat.

A North East Ambulance Service spokesman confirmed three children had been taken to hospital for precautionary checks, suffering from the suspected effects of smoke inhalation.