A survey of 2,000 UK adults also found just three in 10 have some kind of plan in place to actually achieve success.
Ian Pickford, partner in Mazars' private client team, which carried out the research, said: "Our research shows that people define success in lots of different ways.
"Having enough money is important but it's really interesting to see 'being a millionaire' and other materialistic definitions of success are way down the list."
Treating people fairly, acting ethically and feeling fulfilled in life feature in the top 15 indicators of success - along with being financially secure and being debt free.
Tributes to 'adored' former Sunderland councillor Celia Gofton from daughter Lauren Laverne
Man charged with murder after 50-year-old grandmother found dead in house
North East braces itself for thunderstorms as Met Office issues weather warning
‘Disgusting’ Sunderland fraudster conned cash from widow on Christmas Eve
Lamplight Festival cancellation costs revealed: Clash after £142,000 bill following axing of Sunderland event
But do you agree with this list?
1. Being happy
2. Being healthy
3. Being financially secure
4. Being debt free
5. Achieving your career aspirations
6. Feeling fulfilled in life
7. Being able to retire early
8. Owning your house outright
9. Having a balanced work/family life
10. Having a happy marriage
11. Treating people fairly and with respect
12. Having polite, well behaved children you are proud of
13. Acting ethically in your day to day life
14. Being charitable
15. Feeling respected by your peers