Teenager crashed brother's motorbike into police van '“ then ran off with '˜two smashed wrists'

A teenager who crashed his brother's motorbike into a police van '“ before running off badly injured '“ has been told to 'grow up'.

Saturday, 2nd April 2016, 5:00 am
Updated Saturday, 2nd April 2016, 7:26 am

Ryan Wilson, 19, smashed head-on into the marked vehicle, which had stopped in Houghton, Sunderland magistrates heard.

After the crash on December 29 – and despite suffering “two smashed wrists” – Wilson ran off.

Prosecutor Glenda Beck said: “At 7.25pm, police on patrol in a marked van on Newbottle Street, pulled up outside the Britannia Inn to allow a bus to pass.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“When they went to pull forward, they heard the loud roar of a motorcycle.”

Ms Beck said the officers then saw the Honda motorbike about 30 metres in front of them.

“The rider failed to stop and collided with the front of the police van,” she added.

“The rider’s helmet flew off and he fell off the bike and he got up and ran off.”

He was later arrested.

Wilson, of Newburn Crescent, Houghton, pleaded guilty to failing to stop and failing to report an accident, driving without insurance, and without a licence.

Representing himself, he said: “I just don’t know. I just took it for a ride.”

District Judge Sarah-Jane Griffiths asked him whether his brother was happy about what happened to his bike.

Wilson responded: “No. My brother got it back. He had to pay £170 for it.”

He was asked if he was injured, and said: “I snapped my wrists. I went to the hospital and got casts put on for four to six weeks.”

He said he ran off because: “I was a bit shocked, I thought I’d go to see my dad.”

Judge Griffiths said: “Your behaviour on this occasion was very naive and childish.

“You are lucky you didn’t do more serious injury to yourself – you might not be here today.

“You ran off having collided with a police van, which is a very foolish thing to do. You shouldn’t have been driving in the first place.”

He was fined £200 with £20 victim surcharge and £85 costs £85. He was banned from driving for six months.

“Now, off you go and grow up,” the judge added.