A young woman had to be rescued from her smoke-filled flat in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews from Fulwell were called to the premises above a shop in Sea Road shortly before 2am when a passer-by spotted the fire at the door to the flat.
The crews entered the property and led the 25-year-old woman to safety, she was taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation and shock.
Watch Manager Andy Barber, from Fulwell fire station, said: “She was lucky that it is quite a busy street and someone spotted the fire.”
He said the flat did have a working smoke alarm and the incident highlighted just how important they are, especially in a flat.
The upvc door and some carpet in the doorway were fire damaged and the rest of the flat smoke damaged.
Police and fire officers are investigating the incident, which is being treated as suspicious and police are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.
Fire broke out at 1.52am and the woman was the only occupant.
Anyone who saw anyone acting suspiciously in the area at the time of the incident should contact police on 101 extension 69191 quoting reference 153 31/05/15 or independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.