SUNDERLAND’S YMCA centre had to be evacuated after a flat fire led to the building being filled with smoke yesterday afternoon.
Fire crews from the Sunderland Central station in Railway Row used breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze and then ventilation equipment to clear smoke.
One man received oxygen from paramedics but did not need hospital treatment.
The fire was caused by an unattended pan.
l YOBS attacked firefighters as they put out a rubbish blaze in Sunderland.
Crews in the Brickgarth area of Elemore Lane, near Easington Lane, were targeted with stones and bricks on Thursday night.
One firefighter was slightly hurt.
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service district manager for Sunderland, Ian Cuskin, warned anyone attacking crews would be prosecuted: “We will not tolerate any form of verbal or physical attack against our staff,” he said.
“We will do everything we can to protect our staff and have CCTVs on every fire appliance which provides clear footage.
“We will not hesitate to use this evidence to prosecute anyone who behaves in this way.”
Anyone with information is asked to call Northumbria Police on 101 ext 69191.