Sunderland takeaway chef who wanted to fight for Isis faces longer jail sentence

Mohammed Kahar.
Mohammed Kahar.

A takeaway chef from Sunderland who wanted to fight for the so-called Islamic State in Syria faces an anxious wait to see if his five-year jail term will be hiked up by top judges.

Mohammed Abdul Kahar, 37, of Burnville Road, was caged at Newcastle Crown Court on November 13 - the day of the Paris bombings - after he was convicted of 10 terror crimes.

But Solicitor General, Robert Buckland QC, is now arguing his punishment was far too soft and is asking London's Appeal Court to up his jail term.

The father-of-six's crimes included trying to recruit others to fight for IS, planning to join the terrorist group in Syria himself and disseminating terrorist publications.

Mr Buckland told the court Kahar's sentence was 'unduly lenient'.

"It failed adequately to reflect the culpability of his conduct and the harm and potential harm this sort of behaviour can cause and is causing both here and further afield', he said.

Kahar had a 'real plan' to travel to Syria to fight and his offences took place against the 'background of waves of catastrophic terrorist attacks on innocent civilians across the world'.

Lawyers for Kahar argued the trial judge was 'in the best position' to assess the seriousness of what he did, having seen him give evidence for three-and-a-half days.

He had made enquiries about travelling to Turkey but had never even bought a ticket, they pointed out.

If he had made it to Syria, he would have ended up as 'one more fighter' or possibly 'got cold feet at the border', it was said.

And the people he preached too were 'largely already converted to the cause', the court was told.

Kahar was convicted of fundraising for the purposes of terrorism and engaging in conduct in preparation for acts of terrorism.

He was also found guilty of five counts of dissemination of a terrorist publication and three of inviting support for a proscribed organisation.

Lord Chief Justice, Sir John Thomas, who was sitting with Mr Justice Hickinbottom and Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb, reserved judgment on the case until a later date.