Sunderland Sunday League: Six of the best steers Lakeside into final date with Kings Arms

Lakeside will meet Kings Arms in the final of the Third Division Subsidiary Cup.

Saturday, 21st April 2018, 10:30 am
Lakeside (red/white) clear their lines against Ryhope last week. Picture by Tim Richardson

Lakeside booked their first and probably last cup final spot after they beat Ryhope 6-3 in their entertaining semi-final.

Craig Carney and Paul Stephenson both scored hat-tricks before Ryhope bowed out with Jayden Ellis’s double and a Jordan Sweeney strike.

Shaun Barras (2) and Carl Young scored the vital goals as Kings Arms dumped Washington New Tavern out in a 3-1 win, with Stephen Dixon starrting. Teasdale struck late on for Tavern.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Jolly Potters’ winning streak continued in a thrilling 13-goal ding-dong as they outgunned Port of Call 8-5 in Division One.

Paul Webster hit four of them, while Ryan Bussey bagged a brace and further goals came from Luke Sanders and Gary Baker.

Port of Call battled away and managed five past Potters keeper Neal Bussey courtesy of braces from Connor Cheal and Liam Houghton, with Shaun Fletcher also netting.

The Royal Marine only have a few games left to secure safety, but it wasn’t to be against Redhouse Last Orders, who delivered a big blow with a 6-2 win.

Jacob Meredith and Liam Grant kept Marine interested, but Redhouse were in form in front of goal and won thanks to doubles from Paul Stokoe and Andrew Arnold, with Norman Newton and Jordan Stewart also weighing in.

Rhys Robson was the toast of Thorney Close Inn after he capped a man-of-the-match sub appearance with a late equaliser to earn a 2-2 draw at The Stella.

Kurt Jenkins hit Thorney’s opener, but Stella hit back with efforts from Dan Dunlop and star man Lewis Monaghan.

The spoils were shared when Ashbrooke Hendon and Oddies played out a 1-1 draw.

Smith nodded Oddies’ opener, but Adam Greenwell popped up with a tasty leveller to rescue a point.

Ryhope CW’s relegation from Division Two was confirmed by a 5-2 defeat at The Park.

Two strikes from Lewis Storey were not enough for Ryhope, who end the season in bottom spot on 10 points.

The Park, gunning for promotion, are three points behind second-top Pennywell Comrades, with two games in hand, after Dan Pattison (2), Gales, Fairley and Cutter notched.

Washington Athletic thought victory was in the bag as they were 2-0 up and comfortable going into the final few minutes against Board Inn.

But the deadly duo of James Knight and Joe Steel stunned them to earn Board a 2-2 draw, cancelling out efforts from Dale Moyle and Michael Wilson.

Anthony Cooper shone for Athletic, with James Burlinson best for Board.

Karl Addison and Adam Smith fired Victory Club to a close 2-1 win at relegation-threatened AFC Wearside, who had Jones on target.

Washington Arms took another step towards the Fourth Division title with a hard-fought 3-0 win over Mill View CIU.

Garry McCartney, Lewis McGeoch and Richard Logan got the goals, with keeper Andrew Ebdale starring. The staunch Scott Richardson stood out for Mill.

Washington Juniors Blue Bell enjoyed a rare win as they made pussycats out of the Whitburn Panthers with a simple 7-0 win.

Kieron Gallagher and John Abbott both hit doubles, then Dylan Phipps, Lee Dunbar and Neil Morris scored one each, while Richard McQuillan ran the show. Panthers stayed rooted to second-bottom spot, with Jason Wright their star man.

The player with the longest name in the Sunderland Sunday League, Michael Jordan Lee McDaid, hit AFC Houghton’s single strike as Terminus went goal mental in their 11-1 win. Paul Muir was among the goals for the rampant visitors.

Michael Davison stood out for Houghton.

Washington Juniors Teal Farm, up to second, won 3-0 at The Grange, whose top man was Adam Glendenning.