Sunderland Sunday League: New Tavern start the party by sinking Stella

Washington New Tavern were on top of the world after inflicting a first Division Two defeat on The Stella.

Washington (red) give Chester-le-Street problems in the Northern League last weekend. Picture by Kevin Brady
Washington (red) give Chester-le-Street problems in the Northern League last weekend. Picture by Kevin Brady

Richie Corrigan was in excellent form in goal, keeping Tavern in the game with a string of world-class saves to deny the hosts’ in-form forwards.

Lewis Monaghan and Gavin Teasdale did find the net for the home side, but John Ellison, Dylan Phipps and super sub Martin Martin Harrison edged Tavern home.

Mill View CIU came out out top in the battle at the bottom, sealing only their second win, 3-2 against Martin Telfer Carpets.

Stalwart Stephen Lewis claimed a double to give Mill a comfortable first half. The Carpetmen hit back though man of the match Danny Pearson, but it was to be Mill’s day as Aiden Raeper fired home the clinching third goal. Wayne Henderson grabbed a late Telfer consolation.

Liam Huntrod stood out for Mill View.

Washington Colliery will feel like they dropped points against resolute Victory Club.

They were cruising at 2-0 thanks to goals from Keith Burnett and Jordan Stevens, but Karl Addison and goal machine Dean Machin secured a 2-2 draw. Reuben Thompson starred for Victory, with Ryan Mason best for Colliery.

AFC Wearside overcame plucky Cherry Tree 3-1 in a tight affair to continue their mini revival.

Jason Calvert, Thomas Henry and David Ritson earned Wearside the win, with Carl Longstaff responding. Connor McKenzie shone for Tree, with Daniel Brown star man for AFC.

A Martin Maggoire goal was enough for New Town to beat relegation favourites Lakeside SSC 1-0. John Wilson did well in goal for the visitors, with Elliott Salicki best for New Town.

Hylton Castle TWR outgunned Farrington Detached 4-1 to move top in the Premier Division.

Tom Callaghan and star man Marc Moon both hit doubles in a comfortable win, with Jake Baker replying.

Farringdon ISL were the first team to beat TS Potters in the league, securing a 2-0 away win with goals from Ryan March and Brett Gillatt.

Danny Martin was Potters’ star man, with Reece Kenney inspiring Farra.

Myers were handed a league lifeline after grabbing only their second league win, 3-1 at O’Brien Waste Recycling.

James Baxter hit a double before Liam Richardson smashed his effort home. Harry Graham saw red for Myers and O’Brien soon replied, but the visitors, with Adam Drysdale starring, saw out the win.

Silksworth Paragon and Ryhope Foresters shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw.

George McCain fired Paragon into an early lead. Chris Sproat was excellent in Foresters’ goal and kept Paragon, with Aidan Haley prominent, at bay.

But the hosts could not hold on and star man Kieran Davies levelled in the second half.

Struggling Thorney Close Inn are still finding wins hard to come by, and The Stumble Inn extended their wait with a close 4-3 win in Division One.

Corey Steel was once against in magnificent form, setting up all four goals, scored by Luke Charlton, Ross Antliff, Rhys Robson and John Thubron.

David Robinson, Aarron Forrest and Craig Collins struck for Thorney.

The Royal Marine put the cat among the pigeons with an unlikely 4-2 win over Hendon.

They overturned an early 2-0 deficit, with Callum Redpath and David Newby netting for Hendon, to take the win with doubles from Gary Wilkinson and star man Aidan Raeburn.

Redhouse Last Orders enjoyed their second win of season, 4-2 at basement boys Willow Pond.

Star man Neil McNulty led the line well and scored a great goal to put Redhouse in front, then Adam Sloanes and Ryan Morse increased their lead.

Ronnie “blue” Bulmer nodded past Kevin McCluskey to pull one back, but Kieron Brown hit Redhouse’s vital fourth. Chris Brown bagged a late second for Willow, whose star man was Anthony Davis.

Free-scoring TC Plastics were at it again as they battered poor Jolly Potters 9-0.

Star man Josh Farquhar fired a glorious hat-trick and the goals began to flow from Stephen Devlin, Andrew Morris, Paul Stokoe, Corey Bell and a double from Luke Bell. Warren Cassap shone for Potters.

Oddies’ poor form continued as they suffered another heavy defeat, 5-0 to Ryhope Top House.

Paul Brooke had his shooting boots on as he hit four goals in the first half to guarantee victory. Callum Johnson made it five past outstanding keeper David Brown.