Sunderland relief as Stadium comes back to Light in 3-0 win over Hull City

Boss David Moyes has spoken of his relief that the Stadium of Light finally lived up to its name as Sunderland saw off Hull City 3-0.

Saturday, 19th November 2016, 8:36 pm
Updated Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 11:06 am
Let there be (mobile phone) light: Fans bring their own light to the ground. Picture by FRANK REID

Sunderland's boss admitted he feared that today's Premier League basement battle with Hull could have been abandoned after a power cut at the ground.

The lights went out five minutes into the second half when the Black Cats led 1-0 thanks to Jermain Defoe's 150th Premier League goal.

Referee Lee Mason stopped play prompting a sea of mobile phone lights in the stands and chants of "We'll play in the dark" from Sunderland fans.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Thankfully, the stadium technicians got the emergency generator working and after a 10-minute delay, play resumed with a double by in-form Victor Anichebe taking the home side to their first home league win AND off the bottom of the table.

Moyes praised both Mr Mason and Tigers boss Mike Phelan for their desire to get the match finished.

"If the game had had to be replayed it would have been a hard thing to take," he said.

"To be fair to Mick Phelan, we hadn't got all the lights on but it looked bright enough to play the game.

"The referee and Mick both felt it could go ahead and we then went on to get the goals."

Football is littered with abandonements due to floodlight failures and he said that worst-case-scenario had gone through his mind.

"When the lights go out, you never know what the reason is. We maybe spent all our money and not paid the leccy bill!" he laughed.

"But that was the worry, that maybe for some reason you can't get it back on. But thankfully they got it back on and we got through it."

Sunderland and their coaching staff kept the players on the park for much of the break and that proved crucial with Anichebe's first goal coming just after the hour.

"When Lee Mason came up to me and said 'I think it will be 10 minutes David' I thought it might be better to get the players inside," he explained.

"But then there was a bit of twinkle in the lights and I thought it was then a case of keeping them at it."