Sunderland man taken to hospital after chip pan fire

One man has been taken to hospital following a chip pan fire in Sunderland.

Friday, 10th March 2017, 5:59 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:25 am
A Sunderland man taken to hospital after chip pan fire.

Thirteen firefighters from Farringdon and Sunderland were called to the blaze at a sheltered accommodation flat on Fordfields Road in Sunderland at 5.45pm on Thursday.

The fire, which was located in a first floor flat of the two-storey property, was extinguished before the arrival of crews.

The fire service used a hose reel jet and positive pressure ventilator to ensure the blaze was completely out.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The resident of the property had managed to get himself out of the flat and he was left in the care of the North East Ambulance Service.

He was given oxygen at the scene and then taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital where he was treated for smoke inhalation and shock.