A housing tenant says he was left in the cold by company bosses after the heating at his home stopped working and went unfixed for almost two days.
Robert Boyd, 60, today said he has been left “disgusted” after the heating at his Plains Farm home, which is owned by the Home Housing group, stopped working last Wednesday after a boiler leak.
The problem, caused due to a faulty part, was not repaired until almost two days later, leaving Mr Boyd having to wear hats and gloves to keep warm in his house.
Although Home Housing repair workers came out on Thursday to fix the damage, they discovered that more parts, which the callout van did not have, were required.
“I’m hoping mad about this,” said Mr Boyd, a former bus driver who has a catalogue of health issues, including asthma, slipped discs, a damaged back and arthritis.
“I’m 60 years old and to have to live in these conditions in December is shocking.
“I was offered an electric heater, but I can’t afford to run one, so I didn’t see the point in using one.”
Mr Boyd said the heating went off sometime between 5.30pm and 5.45pm on Wednesday.
“It’s gone on for far too long,” he added.
“I’ve lived here for 15 years and nothing like this has ever happened before.”
Graham Darby, Home Group’s assistant director of customer service, said: “Mr Boyd reported a leaky boiler to us on Wednesday at about 5.30pm, and we attended within an hour and identified a faulty part.
“We did not have a spare part in our van and the supplier had closed for the day.
“We offered electric fan heaters as alternative heat sources.
“We returned on Thursday and fitted the part.
“We then discovered that the damage was greater than initially thought and the repair would require more parts.
“Our supplier was unable to source the part until Friday.
“We returned on Friday and completed the repair within 48 hours of Mr Boyd’s initial out-of-hours call.”