Sunderland man dies in stair-fall accident in China

Jeffrey Bews who died after a fall in China, with his mum Jean Kuene
Jeffrey Bews who died after a fall in China, with his mum Jean Kuene
Have your say

A DEVASTATED mother has suffered double devastation after her son died in the Far East following a tragic accident.

Heartbroken Jean Kuene, from Roker, Sunderland, is coming to terms with the shock death of her son Jeffrey Bews in Suzhou, near Shanghai, China.

The 46-year-old died on Saturday after suffering serious head injuries when he fell down a flight of stairs on January 30.

It’s the second tragedy to affect the mum after she lost another son, Steve Bews, in a car accident in Lincolnshire in 1984, aged just 22.

Mrs Kuene, 73, has been told it may be up to four weeks before father-of-two Jeffrey can be cremated because of the need to have the correct documentation in order.

She said: “It’s awful, absolutely awful. I’m devastated by what’s happened and it’s just been made even worse by all of these extra complications.

“I’d hoped his funeral could have taken place this week, but now I’ve been told it could take up to four weeks.

“I can’t place any official announcements because I can’t get his death certificate so I want to let his friends know what’s happened so they can get in touch.”

Mr Bews, who went to Farringdon School and was the son of the late Frederick Maurice Bews, moved out to China 17 years ago, while he worked as a fitter for Washington-based company Little Fuse. He then ran his own business for a while before working for a German car company in recent years.

Mrs Kuene, who last visited her son in China in 2008, added: “Jeffrey has lived in China a long time, but he’d pop back over and I’d go and visit there.

“Jeffrey was a lovely son. He always had a happy face and he loved his motorbikes.”

“He originally moved over there with Little Fuse, and then had a go at running his own company for a while, but that was wiped out after a freak snow storm damaged his factory’s roof.”

Motorbike-loving Mr Bews, was father to Grant, 19, and Joey, 13, plus brother to Karen Hope, 50, Ian Bews and Jackie Kuene, 30.

He was also close to his step-mum Adrienne Bews.

A spokesman from the Foreign Office said: “We can confirm the death of a British national on February 7 in China. We are providing consular assistance to the family.”

Steve Bews died in August 1984 after his car went off the road near Sleaford, Lincolnshire.

After his death, his mother took the decision to donate his vital organs to help others.