Sunderland house blaze prompts fire service warning about dangers of smoking

Sunderland families have been warned of smoking dangers following a house fire in the city.

Friday, 31st January 2020, 11:04 am
Updated Friday, 31st January 2020, 4:01 pm
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service crews were called on Thursday, January 30.
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service crews were called on Thursday, January 30.

Two crews from Farringdon attended Palmstead Road shortly before 8.30pm on Thursday, January 30.

The fire, which Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service say was caused by “carelessly discarded” smoking materials, spread from an outside bin and fence to the rear windows of a semi-detached house.

The ground floor window was destroyed, while an upstairs window frame was also damaged. One of the windows next door cracked because due to heat.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Following the incident, the fire service issued points of advice aimed at helping families stay safe, if someone smokes at their home.

The tips included making sure cigarettes are fully out before being disposed of, using a heavy ashtray made of material which doesn’t burn and not smoking in bed.

Members of the public were also urged to never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended.