A BLOCK of flats was evacuated after a fire filled the building with smoke.
Firefighters and police were called to Moor Close in Hendon at 7.45pm on Saturday after a fire began near to the rear door of the building.
The blaze is not being treated as suspicious and the flats were evacuated as a precaution, with minor damage caused to the entrance.
Two firefighters from Sunderland Central Fire Station were sent to the back of the flats to put out the fire.
A fan was then used to clear the building of fumes and smoke.