Sunderland home damaged in chip pan fire

Fire fighters have dealt with a blaze in a Sunderland house after a chip pan was left unattended.

Thursday, 9th January 2020, 10:25 am
Updated Thursday, 9th January 2020, 1:39 pm

On Wednesday, January 9, at around 4.10pm, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue service were called with reports of a fire at a house in Sunderland.

Crews from Marley Park, Sunderland Central and Farringdon were sent to the scene on Peplow Square to deal with the incident.

A spokeswoman for Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue said: “The cause was a chip pan left unattended.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“The fire was already out when the crews arrived and no one was hurt but the kitchen was damaged and the rest of the property was heavily smoke logged.”

Following the incident, the fire service tweeted a video showing the dangers of putting water on a chip pan that is on fire adding that it “can make things much worse.”

Fire crews were sent to the scene on Peplow Square.