Sunderland grandad killed while walking to football match

Arthur Eade
Arthur Eade
Have your say

A Sunderland grandad has been killed in a collision as he walked to the Black Cats’ Premier League match with his son and grandson.

Army veteran Arthur Eade, 68, from Sunderland, was knocked down on the way to watch Manchester United play his hometown team.

His family said the death of the recently retired HGV driver had left “a huge hole in our lives”.

The collision took place on Europa Way, near to Wharfside Way, Old Trafford, at 11.30am on Saturday.

Mr Eade was taken to hospital with serious head injuries but later died.

Greater Manchester Police said the driver of the vehicle involved, a Nissan Qashqai, stopped at the scene and is helping with inquiries.

In a statement, Mr Eade’s family said: “Arthur was born and brought up in Sunderland where he had recently retired from his lifelong career as an HGV driver which took him all over the country.

“Arthur had travelled down to Manchester with his son and grandson to watch the Manchester United versus Sunderland match as football was one of his passions and he was eagerly looking forward to the game.

“Arthur was very much a family man and was a loving husband, father, grandfather, uncle, father-in-law, son-in-law and brother-in-law.

“He met his wife over 45 years ago whilst serving in The Royal Signals in Germany and following his Army service they settled back in Sunderland where they have lived happily ever since.

“He was enjoying his retirement and had just returned from a holiday in Gran Canaria, and was happiest when he had his family around him. He had a great sense of humour and his huge repertoire of jokes kept everyone amused.

“As well as football being a passion, he was also a lifelong Beatles fan and has all their records and loved everything Beatles related.

“We can’t express how we are feeling knowing he has been taken away from us so suddenly. There is a huge hole in our lives and he will be sorely missed by everyone who knew him.”

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident should contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit at Greater Manchester Police on 0161 8564741.