Sunderland fans face jail after station brawl

Bradley Allen (left) and Colin Shaw
Bradley Allen (left) and Colin Shaw
Have your say

TWELVE Sunderland AFC fans have been warned they could face jail after admitting their parts in post-match clashes with police at Newcastle Central Station.

The men were arrested after violence flared at the station as supporters made their way back from a pre-season friendly in Edinburgh last August.

Northumbria Police said at the time four of their dogs, Floyd, Clio, Earl and Diesel were “kicked and punched to the ground and then stamped on” during terrifying scenes.

Police said a planned operation had been in place that day to ensure Sunderland fans were kept away from Newcastle supporters and “ushered safely” to the Metro Station.

But the force said a section of Black Cats fans “became violent and disorderly and lashed out at police officers and dogs”.

Chief Superintendent Graham Smith, Newcastle Area Commander, said just after the incident: “The fans arrived at the station intent on violence and our dogs have never faced that level of assault before.”

“Thankfully, although shocked, battered and bruised, none of them have been seriously injured and all are now at home recovering.”

Sunderland fans accused police of mismanaging the situation and using excessive force and some spoke of submitting formal complaints and starting legal action.

At Newcastle Court yesterday 12 fans originally charged with violent disorder pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of affray.

Judge Guy Whitburn warned them: “You have pleaded guilty to what is a serious charge, it is punishable by up to three years imprisonment.

“I give you the warning that a custodial sentence in all or in some of your cases cannot be ruled out.

“Furthermore, it is incumbent on any judge to consider football banning orders.

“I warn you that is a very, very real possibility in this case.”

Jason Jameson, 40, of Maud Street, Fulwell; Christopher Burdess, 21, of Countess Close, Seaham; Peter Jones, 47, of Benfleet Avenue, Town End Farm;

David Brooke, 36, of Association Road, Roker, John Meek Dunn, 40, of Maria Street, New Silksworth; Michael Adrian Winch, 27, of James Street, Southwick; Joseph Gerrard Hatton, 38, of Warennes Street, Pallion; Frederick Potter, 51, of Colchester Terrace, High Barnes, Bradley Allen, 19, of Edgeworth Crescent, Gary Breeds, 40, of South View, Colin Shaw, 46, of Hazeldene Way, and Allan Brown, of Duke Street, Seaham, were all granted bail until the sentencing hearing which will be held at a later date.

Speaking after the hearing, a spokesman for the Football Supporters’ Federation claimed the incident could have been avoided and it was a “sad Day” for all of the fans involved.