Residents of a Sunderland student accommodation have spoken of their shock after a window fall during a fire left a man in critical condition.
Emergency services were called to Clanny House, in Peacock Street, just after 10.30pm last night, where a 20-year-old student had fallen from a fourth floor window.
A group of students told the Echo they were evacuated from Block 9, of the property, off Hylton Road, and were only allowed back at 2am to collect essential belongings, before being moved to another block on site.
They said they saw two fire engines, three ambulances and two police cars at the scene and that the fire did not spread beyond the injured student's bedroom.
"We are just shocked really," a female student said. "We live in the same block where the fire was. I don't know him personally, but I've seen him around. He seemed to keep himself to himself.
"We thought it was just another fire drill, but then we knew something was going off.
"We still don't really know what happened and we are waiting to hear of we have to give statements to the police.
"They were here for a good few hours, until 2am, when we were finally allowed back inside to collect some essentials.
"Then we got moved to a different block, for our safety as well."
Northumbria Police have said the man is in hospital, where he is in a critical condition.
The North East Ambulance Service said it sent six vehicles to the scene, with the man taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital.
A spokesperson for the University of Sunderland said: “We can confirm that there was a fire confined to one bedroom at Clanny House last night and that a student is in hospital.
"We are doing all we can to support the student’s family and any residents or staff affected by the incident.
"We are also helping emergency services with their inquiries.”