A factory was saved from serious damage when its sprinkler system which activated after a fire broke out
Two fire crews were called to the manufacturing and fabrication factory in Birtley, Gateshead, after the alarm was raised shortly after 10am on Wednesday, 22 March.
The fire was caused by a motor overheating in a shot blasting booth, but the sprinkler system was activated and it was confined to the immediate area.
Assistant Chief Officer John Baines of Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: “There is no doubt that having an automatic sprinkler system in this building stopped the fire from spreading and prevented potentially severe damage to the rest of the property and the business itself.
"I would encourage all businesses to install sprinklers to protect their premises and staff, the general public and firefighters.”
A spokesperson for the business, which did not want to be named, said: “The sprinklers have saved us a fortune.
"I would like to thank the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue teams for the outstanding work they did.
"The response and efficiency of the teams was exemplary, and in fact helped to keep damage to a minimum. Without their help the consequences could have been far worse.”