A MUM claims her new son is lucky to be alive after a dummy she bought for him came apart.
Callie McCourt, 24, bought a pack of Tommee Tippee dummies for her baby boy Logan to suck on.
A few days later, she found that the tip of one he had been sucking on had come away.
Logan was just six days old.
Callie then phoned the company to complain about the product.
Callie, of Eskdale Close, Seaham, said: “I think it’s appalling.
“The only thing they have come back to us and said is that they will give me my money back.
“We put Logan to bed then found the dummy like that in his Moses basket the next morning.
“If he had still had it in his mouth he could have choked on it. It could have killed him.”
Callie and Scott, 28, then sent off the dummy to the firm so that they could inspect it.
But the parents say they are not satisfied with the reply.
“They said that it had teeth marks in it, so someone had chewed it, which is obviously not true because he is only a few days old,” said Carrie.
A spokesman for Mayborn Baby and Child, which owns the Tommee Tippee brand, said they had been looking into Ms McCourt’s case.
He said: “All our soothers are regulated under the European Standard EN1400 Soother Standard and I can confirm the product in question is specified for the European market and has been externally tested and verified by an independent laboratory and proven to meet the requirements of the standard.”
He added: “The results of our investigation indicate that the fault with the product was due to secondary damage and was not as a result of a production defect.
“We subsequently attempted to contact Ms McCourt to explain this to her and to try to identify any possible circumstances that could have caused the failure to happen.”
The spokesman also said that Ms McCourt has not been offered compensation at this stage and that once the firm had carried out tests on the product, they will contact her again to inform her of their findings.”