Schoolgirl, 10, impaled on railings

The section of fence beside Gainsborough Square, Grindon, Sunderland, where 10-year-old Caitlyn Brown was impaled.
The section of fence beside Gainsborough Square, Grindon, Sunderland, where 10-year-old Caitlyn Brown was impaled.
Have your say

A MUM today told how her 10-year-old daughter is lucky to be alive after she was impaled on a fence for two hours.

Schoolgirl Caitlyn Brown fell on to a seven-inch metal spike which plunged through her stomach, narrowly missing all her vital organs.

Now, as she recovers in hospital, her mum Jan has spoken of the terrifying incident and how her little girl bravely waited as fire crews attempted to cut her free.

She said: “She’d been walking the dog with my mam and was meant to be coming home, but she climbed over the fence and slipped and the railings have gone through her stomach.

“Thankfully they have missed any vital organs. She is stable at the moment. She is sleeping on and off, really tired and a bit upset.”

Jan, 38, who is married to Michael, praised neighbours and the emergency services, who spent two hours battling to free Caitlyn, who also has an older brother, Ben.

She said: “Honestly, I can’t thank them enough, especially a neighbour.

“I don’t know him, but he was first at the scene and he never left her side.

“The fire brigade and police and paramedics; everybody was fantastic.

Caitlyn is today recovering in hospital after the accident near her home in Grindon, Sunderland, at 7.20pm on Saturday.

People living nearby rushed to help the terrified girl and her parents Jan and Michael were also quickly at her side.

Fire crews from Sunderland Central, West and Hebburn stations were called to the incident, just metres from Caitlyn’s home in Gainsborough Square.

Firefighters spent a painstaking two hours using specialist cutting equipment to remove part of the fencing, which surrounds the Barnes Park Extension, while a doctor gave her pain relief,

The Broadway Junior School pupil was rushed to Sunderland Royal Hospital, with the railings still in her body.

Six firefighters went with her in the ambulance to support the railings, before doctors could begin the careful process of removing them.

Medics immediately decided to transfer her to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary.

Her ambulance was given a police escort and a fire appliance also followed them to the hospital.

Crew manager Steve Wilson, from Sunderland Central, said: “Everybody was great and we just wanted to say thank you to the local people, who were very good.

“Two guys were holding her up and another guy held a brolly over her head.

“She was a little diamond. She never whimpered. She was just saying in the ambulance, would she still be able to go on holiday and how she liked Take That and Rihanna.”