HEALTH bosses are investigating how an inch-long blade was nearly swallowed by a schoolboy.
A teatime treat almost turned into a nightmare when seven-year-old Josh Fearnley discovered the sharp piece of metal.
The youngster’s dad, Greg Fearnley, 34, from Houghton, claims the snapped blade was found in a takeaway which the family had just sat down to enjoy.
However, the shop owner has denied the accusation.
“I couldn’t believe it,” Greg said. “We were just sitting down to eat and Josh had opened the salad and had started tucking in with his fingers.
“He’d put a bit of the salad into his mouth when he suddenly shouted out that there was something hard and metal in it.
“When he pulled it out and I saw what it was, I was completely stunned. It’s a miracle he wasn’t seriously hurt.”
The salad was part of a meal bought from Houghton Pizzas, in Newbottle Street, Houghton.
Sunderland City Council today confirmed they were carrying out an investigation into the incident.
Norma Johnston, assistant head of Street Scene at Sunderland City Council, said: “Following a complaint from a member of the public regarding a piece of metal found in a meal, a visit was made to the premises by an environmental health officer.
“An investigation is under way to identify the source of the metal.”
“I don’t know how it ended up in the salad,” said dad-of-two Greg.
Factory worker Greg is now awaiting the outcome of the investigation after finding the blade last Tuesday.
Josh, a pupil at Bernard Gilpin School, was left “upset, but okay”.
Greg said: “I don’t want the same thing to happen to someone else.”
“I’ve reported it to environmental health, so hopefully they will get to the bottom of it.”
But pizza shop owner Niaht Sevinc denied the shop is at fault.
“Health and Safety have been in and I showed them the CCTV,” he said.
“There is no such blade in my shop.
“She checked all the blades in the shop and nothing is missing.
“I showed her all my equipment and she went through the CCTV of the salad being prepared.
“There is nothing illegal being done.”